Sunday, May 9, 2010

mother's day.

Mother's Day for infertiles is usually, FUCKING (CRY YOUR HEART OUT LIKE CRAZY) GROUNDHOG DAY. It happens year after year of knowing that the celebration goes past with empty, barren & lonely arms.

I hated Mother's Day, for a varied of reasons. One, I wanted SOOOO MUCH what my friends were having. The warm cuddles, the sweet kisses, the take-my-breath away smiles and yes, i wanted the nights of not sleeping, the crazy changing of nappies, the incessant crying and the getting peed yet. The little things that so many fertiles take for granted - I WANTED IT ALL.

Secondly, I always miss my mum on Mother's Day. I've always wondered what kind of mother I would be. I didn't have my mum around long enough to inspire me, to talk to me, to love me, to give me a hug, to scold me when I was naughty. And I think that's why I behave the way I do now as a mum. I panic whenever T gets sick or whenever I get sick. I fear that I will leave him early which is why I am very anal about doing certain things. I record every single thing that makes him happy, makes him sad, makes him angry. I write funny letters to him so that he would know the kind of childhood he had when he grows up.

Today I sit here, pondering and reflecting Mother's Day. It's a different Mother's Day this year. But I sit here watching three videos:

What IF? A Portrait of Infertility from Keiko Zoll on Vimeo.







Happy Mother's Day, to my fellow infertiles who are still on the tumultuous rollercoaster journey to finding your resolution. I can still feel & taste the tears, anguish and sorrow.

To be a mother, one needs to feel the love of a mother.
That to me, tells me that you are already a mum.

To my mum, Happy Mother's Day.

I miss you dearly with my whole heart and really wish you were here.


xoxo,
P.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, so sweet. It is amazing to know what a year or two can bring, but I remember Mother's Day as a woman desperately wanting a child.... it brings tears to my eyes. Happy Mother's Day, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you are missing your mom, P...on this day and all those other moments throughout your life. I can only imagine how hard that is.

    You are an incredible mama to little T. Wishing you a lifetime of happy mother's days celebrated with your little man.

    ReplyDelete